As the toy season for 2012 comes to an end, we always like to share the toys that made us pause throughout the year…
1. Scum Drum Garbage Game. The game play here is to collect all the garbage. We couldn’t make this up if we tried. Pieces promise to “tumble through the sewer pipe!”
2.Scatter Brainz – Sticky brain-like darts. The game play is to collect them all. Play pieces include: Coma Toes, Stinkin’ Rich, Darting Death, Nano-Neurotic. (Also good luck explaining neurotic to your 8 year old.)
3. Play-Doh Sweet Shoppe. A candy-making machine, but you can’t eat the candy. Seems like a cruel joke.
4. Little Mommy Doll with simulated poop in the potty. Some things should be left to your child’s imagination.
5. Create a Monster. Move over Dr. Frankenstein, fans of Monster High can now buy body parts and make their own creations.
6. Crazy Cubes. You’re buying cubes…not to build with, just to have. In fairness, they have marbles in them.
7. Zombie Burbz Avenue. A new APP/Toy concept. We had hoped new technology would bring something more lively than Zombies.
8.KISS a la K’NEX. A wholesome gift.
9. My Little Pony Princess Pony Bride. Just when you thought it couldn’t get any pinker or ponier. Winner of our rococo plastic toy award.
10. Mutant Ninja Turtle Secret Sewer Lair Playset. A very big plastic sewer for your Ninja Turtles. Part of an apparent trend, see (1) above.
and…the Breastfeeding Doll. Not new, but still pretty dumb and still getting lots of press. Kids don’t need literal props for everything.
For toys worth your child’s time, take a look at our list of 2012 Platinum, Gold, Blue Chip and SNAP (Special Needs Adaptable Product Awards) at www.toyportfolio.com.